As the 2022 legislative session opened Monday, Senate DFLers outlined their legislative priorities, saying they will push for a strong economy, safe communities, and a healthy Minnesota.
Senate DFL Leader Melisa López Franzen was joined by Assistant leaders Nick Frentz, Mary Kunesh, and Foung Hawj Monday in announcing that the DFL Caucus will prioritize lowering costs for Minnesota’s families, addressing concerns about public safety, and investing in the health and economic needs facing communities across the state.
“Although Senate DFLers don’t control the agenda day to day, we didn’t come here to be passive spectators or partisan obstructionists,” said Leader López Franzen. “Our caucus is made up of serious legislators who will bring forth thoughtful and serious proposals – our roadmap – to deal with the issues that Minnesotans are dealing with.”
The leaders outlined the following list of priorities for the legislative session:
An Economy that Works for Minnesotans
Minnesota has weathered the COVID-19 pandemic far better than our neighboring states. The MN Senate DFL Caucus’ will press an economic plan to accelerate our recovery and strengthen our state’s prosperity including advancing equity for communities of color by:
- Fueling Minnesota’s recovery from COVID-19 by protecting the health and safety of Minnesotans, recognizing the sacrifices of frontline workers, and keeping our economy open safely
- Enacting responsible tax cuts for families, seniors and small businesses that puts more money in their pockets while protecting the state’s economic stability
- Lowering the costs of goods and services to help Minnesotans’ keep more of their paychecks
- Supporting and creating job training and retention programs to create a skilled workforce that drives economic recovery and expansion
- Creating more affordable childcare and high-quality early education options that support working families, childcare providers and businesses
A Safer Minnesota with Thriving Neighborhoods and Communities
Minnesotans want safe and thriving neighborhoods and communities where they can live, work and raise their family. The MN Senate DFL Caucus is working to make Minnesota communities safer by:
- Enacting proven prevention strategies that disrupt criminal activity, stop violence and improve overall public safety throughout neighborhoods, including support for mental health services and early intervention for teenagers and their families
- Prioritizing crime prevention and reduction by ensuring law enforcement officers have the funding they need to serve communities and keep Minnesotans safe
- Promoting community policing that is responsive, trustworthy and accountable to the public
- Protecting our democracy by ensuring access to the ballot box and pushing back against the misinformation and election interference that undermines our way of life and fuels extremism
A Focus on Health, Wellbeing, and Quality of Life
Minnesota is known for its economic innovation and opportunity, some of the best healthcare in the world, strong public schools and a rich outdoor heritage. The MN Senate DFL Caucus will strengthen and protect the things that make Minnesota a great place to live.
- Access to affordable health care, including mental health care, that’s there when we need it
- Top-notch teachers in every classroom and strong schools in every neighborhood, where parents are partners and every student has the resources they need to succeed
- Safe, stable and affordable housing for children, families and seniors throughout Minnesota
- Solutions to tackle climate change, protect Minnesota’s precious air, land and water, and drive business innovation